Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Dang Cold Asian Noodle Salad

Well it's that time of year again....Office Holiday Party time! At my office we do a pot-luck lunch then exchange gifts for our Secret Santa! After reading the list of what people were signing up to bring I noticed that 5 people are making desserts! Therefore, I decided to make something on the other end of the spectrum with a bit more substance that was healthy too so they don't feel bad about eating all those desserts!

I found this tasty recipe by Guy Fieri, "Dang Cold Asian Noodle Salad". It's made with Soba Noodles, Japaneese buckwheat noodles that are best served cold. Now if you live in the middle of nowhere like me and your "ethnic aisle" is little to none, its very likely you will not find these noodles in stock. Instead you can substitute Whole Wheat Spaghetti. The instructions only called for "1 package Soba" and I was not really certain how much product that translated too. Since I was making this for a large group I used 1 whole box of spaghetti. In addition I mixed up another batch of the sauce, and added half of the extra batch to taste. I threw in a bit more veggies so it was not all noodle. I also omitted the Peanuts at the end as I have a friend at the office with a Peanut allergy and I really do not think they are necessary for this recipe. In hindsight I wish I thought to grab soy beans and would have rather substituted those.

Overall I am very pleased with how this turned out! Its healthy, chock full of veggies, and easy to make! Since its served cold, no messing with reheating before the party. I think this dish would appeal to even the pickiest eaters, similar to a vegetarian Lo Mein.

Enjoy = お楽しみ

Dang Cold Asian Noodle Salad

Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2007

Ingredients

  • 1 package soba noodles
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon hot chili oil
  • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 carrot, thinly sliced or julienned
  • 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced or julienned
  • 5 green onions, bottom 4 inches, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced napa cabbage
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced or julienned
  • 1/2 cup julienned bok choy
  • 1 cup bean sprouts, optional
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted, for garnish
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, for garnish

Directions

In a medium stock pot, boil water, add salt and cook noodles. When finished, place noodles in an ice water bath to cool. Drain and set aside.

In a medium bowl combine, sesame oil, vinegar, soy sauce, hot chili oil, hoisin and extra-virgin olive oil. Mix thoroughly and then combine prepared vegetables and noodles.

Garnish with sesame seeds and peanuts.

Copyright 2011 Television Food Network G.P.
All Rights Reserved